The Sony WH-1000XM5 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones are the latest addition to Sony’s highly acclaimed lineup of audio products. Building upon the success of their predecessor, the WH-1000XM4, these headphones offer an enhanced listening experience with improved noise cancellation technology and a host of new features. These WH-1000XM5 headphones also have a sleek and modern design and deliver impressive sound quality. In this article, we will delve into the key features and performance of the Sony WH-1000XM5 headphones.
What’s in the Box?
In addition to the headphones, the Sony WH-1000XM5 also comes with a carrying case, a USB-C charging cable, an audio cable for wired listening, and a user manual. The inclusion of these accessories ensures that users have everything they need for both wireless and wired listening on the go.
Sony WH-1000XM5 Specifications
- Weight: 254 g (approx.)
- Frequency Response: 4 Hz – 40 kHz
- Impedance (OHM): 48 Ω (1 kHz) (when using the headphone cable with the headset turned on)16 Ω (1 kHz) (when using the headphone cable with the headset turned off)
- Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW (when using the headphone cable with the headset turned on) 100 dB/mW (when using the headphone cable with the headset turned off)
- Frequency band: 2.4 GHz band (2.4000 GHz – 2.4835 GHz)
- Cable Type: Single-sided (detachable)
- Cable length: 1.2m
- Bluetooth Version: 5.2
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP
- Bluetooth Codecs: LDAC, AAC, SBC
- NFC: Yes
- Noise Cancelling: Yes
- Ambient Sound Mode: Yes
- Battery Life: Up to 30 hours (with NC), up to 40 hours (without NC)
- Charging Time: Approx. 3.5 hours (full charge), approx. 10 minutes (quick charge for 3 hours of playback)
- Operating temperature: 32°F to 104°F
- Colors: Black, Silver, Blue
The WH-1000XM5 headphones boast their advanced noise cancellation technology as one of their main features. It has two processors that control eight microphones to capture and cancel out ambient noise from various sources, such as traffic, airplane engines, and office chatter. They also include an Auto NC Optimizer feature, which automatically adjusts the noise cancellation settings based on the user’s surroundings, ensuring optimal performance in any situation.
Also Read: Best Wireless Headphones for Mac
Moreover, you can use the Sony Headphones Connect app to select from multiple modes, including Ambient Sound Control, which gives you the option to adjust the amount of external sound you can hear, as well as Focus on Voice, which amplifies human voices while suppressing other sounds.
Furthermore, you have the option to use the Quick Attention mode, which will reduce the sound level and let outside noise come in when you place your hand over the right earcup. This can be helpful when you need to have a brief conversation or listen to an announcement without removing your headphones.
Another reason to like the WH-1000XM5 headphones is their excellent sound quality. It is due to their specially designed 30mm driver unit made of a carbon fiber composite material, which enhances high frequency sensitivity and clarity. Furthermore, their Integrated Processor V1 and HD Noise Cancelling Processor QN1 work together to provide high-resolution audio with minimal distortion and noise.
Also Read: Best Sony Wireless Subwoofers
Moreover, you can also use the Sony Headphones Connect app to improve sound quality. The app offers various sound settings and features, such as DSEE Extreme, which upscales compressed audio files to near high-resolution quality, or 360 Reality Audio, which creates a spatial sound field that makes you feel like you are in a live concert or studio. Additionally, you can customize the EQ settings or choose from different sound presets, such as Bass Boost, Bright, or Vocal, from the app.
The WH-1000XM5 headphones are also great for making and receiving calls, thanks to their crystal clear hands-free calling feature. They have four beamforming microphones on each earcup that pick up your voice precisely and filter out background noise. They also feature an advanced audio signal processing technology that enhances your voice quality and reduces echo and feedback. This results in a clear and natural-sounding conversation on both ends of the line.
Additionally, the call quality can be improved by using the Alexa voice control feature. This feature lets you use your voice to make calls, play music, get directions, control smart home devices, and more. You can activate Alexa by pressing the custom button on the left earcup or by saying “Alexa” after enabling the wake word feature on the app.
Comfort and Design
The comfort and design of the Sony WH-1000XM5 headphones are unparalleled. The headphones feature plush ear cushions and an adjustable headband, ensuring a perfect fit for hours of listening pleasure. They also have a foldable headband that makes them easy to store and travel with, and it fits snugly over the ears. Also, the fact that they are lightweight makes them even more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. Their earpads are soft and made from synthetic leather and memory foam for a comfortable fit.
In addition, the intuitive touch controls that are built into the right earcup allow for easy and convenient control of music playback, volume adjustment, call management, etc. This eliminates the need to fumble with buttons or reach for your device, providing a seamless and enjoyable listening experience.
- Integrated Processor V1: It is a powerful and efficient processor that combines multiple functions into a single chip. This enhances the performance of the HD Noise Cancelling Processor QN1, which controls eight microphones to capture and cancel ambient noise. As a result, high-frequency noise, including airplane engines, human voices, and traffic, is drastically reduced. The Integrated Processor V1 also optimizes the battery life of the device, allowing for longer usage without compromising performance.
- Auto NC Optimizer: This feature optimizes noise cancellation automatically based on your wearing conditions and environment. By analyzing factors such as the shape of your ears and the atmospheric pressure, the Auto NC Optimizer ensures that the noise cancellation is tailored to your specific needs. This feature guarantees an immersive and uninterrupted audio experience, regardless of your surroundings.
- 30mm Driver Unit: It is a specially designed driver unit that features a soft edge and a carbon fiber composite material that improves sound clarity, especially in high-frequency ranges. Also, they use premium lead-free solder containing gold, Fine Sound Resistor, and optimized circuitry to ensure a high signal-to-noise ratio and consistent sound quality.
- Crystal Clear Hands-Free Calling: The headphones have four beamforming microphones that enable clear and natural voice communication. They also have precise voice pickup and cutting-edge audio signal processing. Additionally, the touch control panel on the right earcup can be used to answer or decline calls, launch your voice assistant, or change the volume.
- Alexa Voice Control: The headphones also have built-in Alexa voice control, allowing you to access a wide range of information and services hands-free. Simply activate Alexa by using the touch control panel or by saying the wake word, and you can ask questions, play music, set reminders, and much more. With Alexa integration, you can enjoy a seamless and convenient voice-controlled experience with your headphones.
- Up to 30-Hour Battery Life: The headphones have a long battery life that can provide up to 30 hours of wireless playback with noise canceling enabled. You can also use the quick charging feature to get three hours of playback with just 10 minutes of charging.
What are its Pros and Cons?
- Excellent noise canceling performance
- High-quality sound and voice quality
- Comfortable and adjustable design
- Smart and intuitive features
- Long battery life and quick charging
- No aptX or aptX HD support
- No multi-device pairing
How do they compare with others?
In this section, we will compare the Sony WH-1000XM5 with other top noise-canceling headphones in the market. First, we’ll compare it with its predecessor, the Sony WH-1000XM4 and then we’ll compare it with the Bose QuietComfort 35 II headphones.
Sony WH-1000XM5 vs Sony WH-1000XM4
The Sony WH-1000XM5 and the Sony WH-1000XM4 are both noise-canceling headphones that offer excellent sound quality and effective noise cancellation. That being said, they have a lot of differences between them.
Here is a summary of the differences between the Sony WH-1000XM5 and Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones:
- Design: The WH-1000XM5 has a redesigned carbon fiber chassis that feels slightly less hefty than the WH-1000XM4. It also has wider ear pads, an adjustment system using a friction rod, and a proximity sensor that isn’t visible. The WH-1000XM4 has a notched headband track, yokes, and a visible proximity sensor. Both headphones have the same touch panel controls and foldable design for easy portability.
- Sound Quality: The WH-1000XM5 headphones offer improved sound quality with enhanced audio clarity and a more precise bass response compared to the WH-1000XM4. They also feature a new LDAC codec for high-resolution audio streaming. The WH-1000XM4, on the other hand, still delivers excellent sound quality but may not have the same level of refinement as the newer model. All in all, both headphones provide an immersive and enjoyable listening experience.
- Noise Cancellation: The WH-1000XM5 has a more advanced noise canceling system than the WH-1000XM4 due to its improved algorithm and microphones. Additionally, the WH-1000XM5 has an automatic NC optimizer that can adjust according to the environment, whereas the WH-1000XM4 has a manual NC optimizer that requires user input. Also, both headphones have the same ambient mode feature, which allows the user to listen to their surroundings by covering the right ear cup.
- Battery Life: The WH-1000XM5 and the WH-1000XM4 both have a battery life of 30 hours while using noise cancellation. However, the WH-1000XM5 can last up to 40 hours without noise cancellation and has a more efficient audio codec. Additionally, the WH-1000XM5 has a faster charging rate; a 3 minute charge will give 3 hours of playback, whereas a 10 minute charge will grant 5 hours of playback for the WH-1000XM4.
The Sony WH-1000XM5 builds upon the success of its predecessor, the Sony WH-1000XM4. While both models offer exceptional noise-canceling capabilities and a comfortable design, the WH-1000XM5 introduces some notable improvements.
Sony WH-1000XM5 vs Bose QuietComfort 45
The Sony WH-1000XM5 and Bose QuietComfort 45 are the flagship noise cancelling headphones for their respective brands. Both headphones offer top-of-the-line noise cancellation technology and a great audio experience. However,
However, they also have distinct features and qualities that set them apart from each other.
- Noise cancellation: The Bose QuietComfort 45 and Sony WH-1000XM5 both offer excellent noise cancellation, but the Sony WH-1000XM5 has the advantage. The Sony headphones are better at isolating background noise across a wider frequency range, especially in the low end. Additionally, they have an adaptive sound control feature that alters the ANC level to suit your environment and activities. Comparatively, the Bose headphones have a simpler ANC system that lets you choose between two modes: Quiet or Aware. The Quiet mode is the full noise cancellation mode, and the Aware mode lets you hear some of the outside sounds. That being said, it does not have the same level of customization as the Sony headphones.
- Sound quality: Both the Sony and Bose headphones offer excellent sound quality. The Sony headphones have a rich and immersive sound with deep bass and clear highs, while the Bose headphones provide a balanced and natural sound signature. However, some users may prefer the slightly warmer sound of the Sony headphones, while others may prefer the more neutral sound of the Bose headphones.
- Design and comfort: The Sony WH-1000XM5 has a right earcup with a touch-sensitive surface. So you can manage playback, volume, calls, and ANC modes with just a few taps. The Bose QuietComfort 45, on the other hand, has buttons on both earcups to do the same. Also, the Bose headphones are slightly lighter in weight compared to the Sony headphones. This makes them slightly more comfortable for extended use. Additionally, the Sony WH-1000XM5 features a more minimalist look, and the Bose QuietComfort 45 has a more classic and traditional design. Overall, both headphones offer excellent comfort and stylish designs to cater to different preferences.
- Battery Life: Both headphones have impressive battery life. But the Sony WH-1000XM5 has a slight edge with up to 30 hours of continuous playback, while the Bose QuietComfort 45 offers up to 22 hours. This makes the Sony headphones a better choice for those who need longer battery life on the go. Additionally, both headphones support quick charging, allowing you to get several hours of playback with just a few minutes of charging.
The Sony WH-1000XM5 is one of the best wireless noise canceling headphones around. They have amazing noise-canceling, sound quality, and call quality, plus all the cool features that make them perfect for travel, work, or just chilling. They also have a long battery life and are comfortable to wear for prolonged periods of time.
However, they are quite expensive compared to other wireless headphones on the market. Despite this, if you value top-notch noise cancellation and audio performance, the Sony WH-1000XM5 is definitely worth the investment. With their advanced features and superior sound quality, they offer a premium listening experience that is hard to match.
So, if you are willing to pay the premium price for these headphones, you won’t be disappointed by their performance.